Thursday, November 24, 2005

Kummunique - Issue 8, Parshat Chayei Sarah 5766

Kummunique - Kumah's Shabbat and Holiday Bulletin
Issue 8, Parshat Chayei Sarah 5766
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shalom! We are proud to present another issue of Kummunique.
This issue is filled with Aliyah and Eretz Yisrael inspiration - so enjoy!

In this issue you will find:

1. "Delicacies" by Malkah Fleisher
2. "Elech" by Yishai Fleisher
3. "Remembering Reb Shlomo and Healing the Nation" by Ezra Halevi
4. "Arrivals: From New Jersey to Beersheba" by Yocheved Miriam Russo

-----------------------------------------------------------




1. "Delicacies" by Malkah Fleisher


Chayei Sarah - "The Life of Sarah", barely mentions Sarah. No ode, no wrap-up, just a politically charged land purchase and the screech of tires as our Biblical story zooms forward. Seems mighty insensitive. Unless, of course, you understand Jewish women - especially this one. The beloved son of our deceased marries a strong Jewish girl with a good head on her shoulders. Her dear husband rises from mourning to remarry and have more children, and then is buried by her side, bequeathing his physical and spiritual inheritance to their son - her son. This parsha is entirely about Sarah - because these two men were her life. It was her influence which created the events following her death, forming the men she lived for, putting down roots in the Land of Israel, and setting the scene for the creation of the Jewish people.

Knowing it's what Sarah would have wanted, Avraham sends his servant back to the old stomping grounds of Aram Naharaim to find a wife for Yitzchak from among the family - the daughter of Sarah's sister. Eliezer meets Rivkah and knows that she's the right girl (with a lot of help from the Master of the Universe). After a short family sit down, Rivkah is allowed to go back to Canaan to meet and marry Yitzchak. Overjoyed, Eliezer showers the family with the best of everything, gifts from Avraham:

"The slave brought out objects of silver and objects of gold, and garments, and gave to Rivkah, and delicious fruits he gave to her brother and to her mother..." (Bereishit 24:53-54)

Doesn't produce seem out of place here - especially when juxtaposed with precious metals and finely woven linens? But Rashi redeems the notion in his commentary:

"This means 'delicacies', for he brought with him varieties of fruit from the Land of Israel."

The seven species, imbued with intense spiritual and physical nutrition, were as fine and prized a gift as gold - the recipients were surely not slighted when they got barley rather than bracelets.

Perhaps the chef at Milcah and Betuel's house whipped up a little salad for Eliezer in honor of the shidduch, made from the precious bounty of the Land of Israel:

Three-of-the-Seven Salad (featuring the Holy Olive, Fig, and Pomegranate)
1 head leaf lettuce (not iceberg)
3 scallions
3 medium cucumbers
cup pomegranate seeds (if you like more, add more)
A big tuft of alfalfa sprouts
2 large fresh figs
4-6 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
tsp. mustard
Ground pepper, to taste
1 tooth of crushed garlic
Salt

Slice the lettuce and scallions and place in a large bowl. Arrange the alfalfa sprouts on top. Chop the cucumbers (if you are unfortunate enough to be eating the huge, tasteless cucumbers of the exile, you might want to remove the seeds) and scatter them on top. Top with pomegranate seeds. Chop the figs and blend or process them. Add oil, vinegar and mustard, and process again - it shouldn't come out watery. Add crushed garlic, pepper, and salt - blend. Add the dressing to the salad just before serving, and celebrate the Jewish women in your life.

-----------------------------------------------------------

2. "Elech" by Yishai Fleisher

HERE IS A TRANSCRIPT OF ELIEZER'S FAMOUS SPEECH TO LABAN AND BETHUEL GIVEN AT THEIR RESIDENCE IN ARAM:

"I came this day to the spring, and said, 'Hashem, the G-d of my master Abraham, if now you do prosper my way which I go. Behold, I am standing by the spring of water. Let it happen, that the maiden who comes forth to draw, to whom I will say, Give me, I pray you, a little water from your pitcher to drink. She will tell me, "Drink, and I will also draw for your camels." Let the same be the woman whom Hashem has appointed for my master's son.' Before I had done speaking in my heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder. She went down to the spring, and drew. I said to her, 'Please let me drink.' She hurried and let down her pitcher from her shoulder, and said, 'Drink, and I will also give your camels a drink.' So I drank, and she made the camels drink also. I asked her, and said, 'Whose daughter are you?' She said, 'The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bare to him.' I put the ring on her nose, and the bracelets on her hands. I bowed my head, and worshipped Hashem, and blessed Hashem, the G-d of my master Abraham, who had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter for his son. Now if you will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me. If not, tell me. That I may turn to the right hand, or to the left."

THIS IS HOW THEY ANSWERED HIM:

Then Laban and Bethuel answered, "The thing proceeds from Hashem. We can't speak to you bad or good. Behold, Rivka is before you, take her, and go, and let her be your master's son's wife, as Hashem has spoken."

THIS IS HOW ELIEZER, ABRAHAM'S SERVANT REACTED:

It happened that when Abraham's servant heard their words, he bowed himself down to the earth to Hashem. The servant brought forth jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and clothing, and gave them to Rebekah. He gave also to her brother and to her mother precious fruits. They ate and drank, he and the men who were with him, and stayed all night. They rose up in the morning, and he said, "Send me away to my master."

EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING GREAT WHEN SUDDENLY SOME TENSION ARISES:

Her brother and her mother said, "Let the young lady stay with us a few days, at least ten. After that she will go."
He said to them, "Don't hinder me, seeing Hashem has prospered my way. Send me away that I may go to my master."
They said, "We will call the young lady, and ask her."

THIS IS IT, THE GREAT MOMENT OF CLIMAX, RIVKA IS ASKED TO MAKE THE DECISION HERSELF:

They called Rivka, and said to her, "Will you go with this man?" She said, "I will go." [Elech]

When Rivka was asked whether she will go with some stranger to a strange land, leave her family, her comfort zone, all that she know - Rivka has a one word answer - Elech! I will go!

Why was she so confident? The answer is simple: she understood that a miraculous process was afoot, and she was the lucky recipient of an invitation to be part of it. She heard Eliezer's speech, saw G-d's providence at work, and jumped at the chance to get on board.
What a lesson this is for us: when you see G-d's hand, reach out to grab it without hesitation! Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzatto, the Ramchal writes: "When a mitzva opportunity presents itself one must immediately act upon it. There is no greater danger than this because every moment another impediment may arise and inhibit one from fulfilling the mitzva."

When it comes to Israel, be like Rivka, if you have a chance to make Aliyah, jump at the opportunity. See the miracles of Israel, and come take part in it.

Moses' Psalm (90) states: "The days of our life are seventy years, or perhaps eighty, if we are strong; even then their span is only toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away."

Life is short, make the most of it, and if you ask yourself "Should I go?" Answer yourself: "Elech!

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. “Remembering Reb Shlomo and Healing the Nation”
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/print.php3?what=news&id=93416

Thousands of people packed Jerusalems National Convention Center Saturday night to remember Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, giving over his melodies together with his Torah lessons.

The yearly concert has always been a gathering point for the students of the late rabbi, who come from all walks of life and know their beloved teacher as simply Shlomo. The first such concert was held for Reb Shlomo’s shloshim - the memorial thirty days after his passing at Jerusalems Heichal Shlomo hall. From then on, it was held on Shlomo’s birthday for a few years. Emphasis began to shift to the yahrtzeit (anniversary of his passing) as spontaneous musical prayer-filled pilgrimages to the rabbis Har HaMenuchot grave became a yearly occurrence and the concert took place first at the Yeshurun Synagogue and then outgrew the venue in favor of Binyanei HaUmah - the largest hall in Jerusalem.

Memorial events are also held in New York, where Reb Shlomo’s synagogue which he inherited from his father, Rabbi Naftali Carlebach - is located, but the Jerusalem concert is where the part of the rabbis legacy that led him to move to Israel and found Moshav Meor Modiin is most apparent. The concert showcases the living nature of the rabbi’s teachings, which continue to move forward, develop, and affect the Jewish people and bring them home to Israel to the Land of their soul, as one English mainstay melody played at the annual concert terms it.

“So many people are living in Israel because of Shlomo”, said Yehuda Katz, the musical director of the concert and redemption rock-band Reva LSheva front-man. “I know that I am one of them.”

Katz said that he recently heard an ‘awesome’ Torah (teaching) from a student of the Vilna Gaon. When one returns to the Land of Israel they must sing. Song is what is going to bring achdut (unity) to the Land of Israel.

A video clip of Shlomo performing for an audience soon after the Six Day War on Israeli television was shown between performers at the concert. The tone and instructive nature of the video set the stage for an emotional evening one many audience members described as being a very healing experience following the trauma of the summers Gaza and northern Shomron expulsion. “Believing in the coming of the Messiah is the belief of every Jew, the Rambam says,” Shlomo said, “but what does that really mean? Ill tell you. According to our holy rabbis, it means that one must believe with complete faith that the nation of Israel has the ability to bring the messiah and the redemption.”

“Shlomo was the great suspension bridge between various communities within our country and indeed the world,” said Shlomo Carlebach Foundation founder Joe Schonwald. “Shlomo criss-crossed the globe bringing the message of Jerusalem to everybody. He did more for Jerusalem and Aliyah than a lot of other organizations that have that in their mission statement and receive funding from the State of Israel and the Jerusalem Municipality. The city has three cultural departments: religious, secular and hareidi. It is a shame that the three never meet and it is high time to recognize Shlomo’s legacy of contribution to Jerusalem’s culture through unity and diversity.”

“We owe the renewal of Jewish prayer and worship to the liturgy that Shlomo wrote. He was the singing rabbi, but he was also the father of Jewish music. Before that we had songs that came out of our European or geographic experiences, but that wasnt Jewish music per se. Shlomo invented Jewish music for our generation.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. "Arrivals: From New Jersey to Beersheba" by Yocheved Miriam Russohttp://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1130954357979&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

"We never openly discussed aliya while my father was alive," says Linda Renkoff, who arrived in Israel with her husband Allan in April, 2004. "The funny thing is, my father is the one who was responsible for us all coming in the first place. He insisted on sending our oldest son for a summer while he was in college, even though our son wasn't especially interested. Once he arrived, he loved it. He made aliya in 1990, and then our younger son made aliya in 1997." "What was I going to do?" says Allan. "My grandchildren are all in Israel. I'm going to retire, and move to Florida? Of course not!" "But we love it here. We made many trips, we wanted to come," adds Linda.

Family History
Both Allan and Lynda were born of American-born parents, and raised in Union, New Jersey. Linda's father passed away in 1994, and her mother and brother are also deceased. Allan still has family in the States. "They think this is a phase we're going through," he says. "Boy, are they wrong."

Before Arriving
Although the Renkoffs finally arrived to stay just 16 months ago, they officially made aliya in 2000, when Allan passed his Israeli dental exams. "It took a while to close out our lives in the US," Allan says. "The dental exams were extremely difficult, mostly because I'd been out of school for 35 years. I studied a whole year, took several different trips over here, spent about $4,000 on textbooks. I had a regular routine: The test was given in segments, so I'd come, take the first part, find out what it covered, go home, study, then come back and take it again. "Then I'd come for the second part, take it, go back and study, and then come back to take it again. I did that for all four segments. The test was given on a Sunday, so I'd leave New Jersey on Thursday, arrive before Shabbat. I'd rest on Shabbat, take the test on Sunday, and then fly back on Monday."

But just as they were preparing to make aliya, Linda received disturbing news. "We were packing, getting ready to go. Our home was sold," she says. "We decided to go to Florida for two weeks to say goodbye, and when we got home, there was a message from my doctor about a mammogram I'd had just before we left. He said I had to come into the office at once." She did. After more tests and consultations, Linda learned she needed a mastectomy. "I asked my doctor how long after the surgery I could fly, and he said three weeks. That was it: Our house was sold, so we moved into a hotel. I had the surgery. It was difficult, I'll say that. But what could we do? The new owners were ready to move in, shippers were coming to pick up our things. We were so anxious to get here. There was no way we were going to wait while I went through chemotherapy and radiation in the States. "My oncologist wrote a long letter to a doctor here - we looked for the name of a doctor that sounded like someone who would speak English - and told him what treatment he would follow, if I were there. That was it. We got on the plane and came. I had chemotherapy and radiation here, and it was fine."

Upon Arrival
"We hired a taxi from the airport," Allan says. "I paid, because I'd used my free ride back in 2000. Of course, the cab driver got lost, but we settled into the Midbar Hotel for six weeks while we looked around for someplace to rent. The hotel was very nice. They're used to long-term guests, and our cat Vipress stayed with us, too." "I started in with medical appointments right away," Linda says. "Fortunately, our son was between jobs right then, so he was free to take us to all the places we needed to go. That really helped."

Living Environment
The Renkoffs found a large apartment on the 19th floor of Beersheba's second-tallest building. They had to find a really big place, they say, because they brought so much stuff. Allan is a ham radio operator, and the elevation is good for that, too. "I reach people all over the world. We see fireworks at eye-level, airplanes landing, and we have a gale of fresh air blowing through the apartment whenever we want it. The best part is, we're within walking distance of our two sons, all kinds of shops, and our shul. We'll move eventually, but right now, this is perfect," he says. "Lots of stuff still isn't unpacked," Linda says. "Last summer, I didn't feel well, and I didn't really care if it was unpacked or not. But this summer is much better, and I'm getting some of our art up on the walls, making it a real home again."

Work
Although Allan has his Israeli dentist's license, he may never practice here. He had shoulder surgery for arthritis about five months before they left, and has yet to recover full strength in his right arm. Still, he plans on working. "I can do just about anything, and I'm looking for something new and interesting," he says. Linda, a former legal secretary, says, "I'm done" with professional work. "Now I want to be with my grandchildren whenever I can. That's why we're here."

Routine
Linda gets up at 7:30, Allan at 8:30 or 9. One or the other transports grandkids to or from various places several times during the morning and afternoon. "That's not a complaint," Linda says. "This is what we want. To be able to take them to school, to judo classes, to Burger Ranch, to do the things they like. In a few weeks, our daughter-in-law has two weeks of vacation, so that's our vacation, too. Maybe we'll travel a little, to see Israel. We haven't done that yet."

Circle
"We have our sons here, and we're close to our daughter-in-law's parents," Linda says. Allan adds, "There was a Frenchman in my ulpan class, we've gotten to be friends. He speaks several languages but not English. I don't speak French, so we're communicating in Hebrew, which is good." "I made a good friend in chemotherapy," Linda says. "There was a lady in the chair next to me, and she saw me reading an English book. We started to talk, and we've become good friends. Now we even daven (pray) at the same beit knesset (synagogue). People have been very nice."

Identification
"I still slip sometimes, and refer to the US as 'home,'" says Linda. "Not me," says Allan. "I'm an Israeli. Period. We're very happy here. This is home."

Language
Allan started ulpan as soon as they arrived. "I was ready to start, too," Linda says, "but the first day of ulpan was the day I had my first reaction to chemotherapy, so I just couldn't do it. Just recently I started again, in a pensioners' class. I have the same teacher Allan had, and she's wonderful. There are about 15 Russians, two Argentineans, and me. I had to start at the very beginning - I didn't even know the aleph-bet. It's hard to learn when you're older."

Plans
"We're settling in," Allan says. "Someone told me there are three magic steps to adjustment: progress, get used to it, and manage. So that's what we'll do - but you know what? It hasn't been hard. I don't really understand what all the talk is about 'adjustment.' What's there to adjust to? "When you think about it, our only real adjustment problem is that we don't know the language as well as we'd like. In the scheme of things, that's not a major problem. We get along just fine." "Look at that down there," Allan says, gesturing toward the panoramic view 19 floors below. "Everything is out there. What more could anyone possibly want?"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?