Thursday, March 30, 2006

Issue 24 "Vayikra" 5766



Shalom! We are proud to present another issue of Kummunique.
This issue is filled with Aliyah and Eretz Yisrael inspiration - so enjoy!

In this issue you will find:

1. "Election Reflection" from Ezra Amichai
2. "Five Star Absorption Center" by Yehudit Rahav
3. "Arrivals: From Madison, Wisconsin, to Jerusalem" by Yocheved Miriam Russo
4. "After Halimi Murder, Aliyah Group In France Finds Itself Getting Busier" By Brett Kline


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. "Election Reflection" from Ezra Amichai

I simply have to share an election reflection with you. Amazingly, though ive been living here in Israel for well over five years, yesterday was the first time that i was actually eligible to vote in an election. During the actual voting experience, i offered up a quick tfilla to Hashem that he guide me and his Nation quickly towards redemption, and followed my conscience as best as I could.

Interestingly though, i didnt feel any immediate sense of euphoria in participating in the process. The general apathy i feel towards the political system here, the lack of any faith i place in the "justice system" in place at present, and the horrific withdrawals from azza and amona and beyond, all combined to, as it were, rain on my parade.

All that being said, I was truly surprised to find myself just a few hours later sitting in front of my computer and crying my eyes out. Why? Because for all the problems, for all the negativity, for all the desperation-- I LIVE IN MEDINAT YISRAEL. I wasnt born here, i was born into the comforts of a very distant diaspora and everything that comes with it, and somehow, somehow, I GOT OUT, I CAME HOME, I LIVE IN YERUSHALAYIM IR HAKODESH. Hashem has chosen me, and has chosen all of you, to be the players in determining the future of the Jewish people-- and it happens here, and NOWHERE ELSE. Two generations ago, they were putting Jews in ovens (dont cringe, its our reality- deal with it), and tommorow we'll be singing and dancing at the Kotel to welcome in the new month of freedom-- UNBELIEVABLE!!! (our new reality, deal with it too!!!)

Yes, the conflicts ahead are intimidating, and the prospect of further Jewish expulsion of its own people from its own land, and the continued capitulation to
those who seek to destroy us, is a nightmare that is all too real (and oh yeah, how about poverty?!)-- but we ARE HERE NOW, and because of that we can fight it with everything we have at our disposal-- with our bodies, with love, with anger, with all the emotions of our beings-- but not ON TV!!!

It doesnt make a difference how I feel about the election results -- the destiny of the Jewish people in its Land is being determined, and yesterday was the first time I played an active role in that-- we must always give thanks for what we have, only then can we duly protest that which we dont.

I have always insisted that i would much rather work at a falafel stand in the tahana mercazit of kiryat shemona than live in a multi-million dollar penthouse in Manhattan, and I felt that yesterday more than i ever have before-- AM YISRAEL CHAI!! The Ezra who lived here before he was a citizen, and the one who lives here now with that everpresent blue teudat zehut are two entirely different beings-- Ive thrown my hat in the ring and there is no going back-- no shlichut to new jersey, california, london, johannesburg-- God bless every Jew there and protect them from harm, but they are living in a mirage-- a Jew can fulfill his potential only in his own Land, and God has miraculously opened the gates to that very holy Land and said COME HOME MY CHILDREN-- but man, are we listening?!

Help me to spread the light that is our nation in our Land, let the whole world see that God is One -- Giving thanks, so much thanks--

liyot am chofshi bartzeinu--
hodesh tov!!-- I love you all--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. "Five Star Absorption Center" by Yehudit Rahav
From Yediot Achronot

New initiative brings Jewish immigrants to Israel in bid to counter tourism industry employee shortage

Dozens of Jews around the world participated recently in a hotel industry and Jewish Agency workshop in a bid to convince Jews to immigrate to Israel in order to counter the country's hotel industry employee shortage, Israel's leading newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth reported on Sunday.

In light of the renewed surge in tourism to Israel, local hotels are facing a shortage of 3,000 workers, with Israelis not quick to take up tourism jobs.

Under the special project, 60 Jews already made Aliyah to Israel from France, the former Soviet Union, and South America. All integrated in hotel positions around Israel in kitchens, cleaning, housekeeping, security, restaurants, and entertainment. All received the special immigrant aid package for new immigrants, and live at the same hotel they are employed by. In their free time they study Hebrew.

Most of the immigrant-employees arrived to the southern town of Eilat, including Vadim Frikaski who immigrated from Russia and works now at the Golden Tulip hotel as a sous-chef. For years he dreamt about making Aliyah but his wife refused.

"I decided to divorce her and realize my dream" he said emotionally.

"I came to Eilat following a visit by representative of the Jewish Agency and the hotel industry to Russia. I was impressed by the film about tourism in Israel, and since I worked already in upscale hotels in Switzerland and Germany I decided to continue doing it in Israel," he said.

Looking for partners

Most of the new immigrants who found work in the hotels are singles hoping to find a partner in Israel. One of them is 25-year-old Sergio Kleiman from Brazil who has a degree in physics but works as a landscaper in the hotel.

"I plan on staying here and make Israel my home, and later on bring my parents from Brazil," he said.

Sergio is not alone. Noesablla Eshakyev from Russia works as a housekeeping supervisor, Vladimir Namakin, also from Russia, works at the laundry room, Juan Pablo from Argentina works in the pool, Abba Dassa from Ethiopia works as a dishwasher in the kitchen.

"We view it as true Zionism" said David Fattal, chairman of the Fattal hotel chain who initiated the project in conjunction with with the Jewish Agency.

"The new immigrants receive the immigrant absorption aid package, study Hebrew in the ulpan, get a place to stay and work at the hotels. We, on the other hand, get the satisfaction of bringing to Israel Jewish people who want to make Israel their home," he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. "Arrivals: From Madison, Wisconsin, to Jerusalem" by Yocheved Miriam Russo
From Jerusalem Post

Bradley Fish, 36 - From Madison, Wisconsin, to Jerusalem

Nothing succeeds like success. Bradley Fish, a musician of considerable fame back in Madison, Wisconsin, calls it luck. And in the 18 months the rocker has been in Israel, he is doing it again.

And to think at least some of it came about just because he wanted to meet a few girls.

"I was brand new in Tel Aviv," he says. "I've always been a performer, either in bands or solo. So I decided performing was a quick way to meet people. I joined up with a couple of Israelis I'd just met, and we decided to play some gigs at Mike's Place - really, my main reason was to meet girls.

"But we were really lucky - we thought there'd just be a regular bar crowd, but before long, it was standing room only, and all kinds of famous producers were showing up. We ended up playing with some major Israeli stars - Rami Kleinstein, Yehuda Poliker. It was a heady experience - especially since I was so new."

FAMILY BACKGROUND
"My family is three-quarters Litvak and one quarter German," he says. "They were all in the US by the early 1900s. I was born in Bethesda, Maryland, but when I was three we moved to the Midwest. I grew up in Chicago, got my BA from DeKalb majoring in Jazz Guitar, emphasis on World Music.

"My parents aren't especially musical - my father is an electrical engineer, my mother a social worker. My Dad taught me the basic notes. I really wasn't into music at all until my bar mitzva when I got a synthesizer. After that, you couldn't stop me. I started taking every kind of music lesson. I've been in a zillion bands - rock, blues, folk, metal and of course jazz and classical. I was the token Jewish white guy with an African band for awhile - I had dreadlocks, we played Reggae.

"I toured with several bands, so I've done my share of traveling. It was when I was doing my fifth gig at the University of North Dakota that I finally stopped and asked myself, 'What on earth am I doing?' I refocused, started to do more teaching, and began to make other plans."

BEFORE ALIYA
"Why did I make aliya? About half of it was for traditional reasons - I'm a Zionist. I'm proud of our country, plus I love the weather, the people and the land. But the other half is that I want to marry a Jewish girl - and that not easy when you're in Wisconsin.

Fish began with the "Artist in Residence" program of the World Union of Jewish Students.

"I spent 6 months at WUJS, and loved it, in spite of the intifada. At the end, I decided to go back to the States, work and save money, and then return for good. It took me about 15 months. I applied to Nefesh B'Nefesh, and they helped considerably."

Still, he says the decision wasn't easy.

"I had a thriving business in Madison," Fish says. "I had a huge house, enormous studio, a lot of talented students and all the work I could handle. I have my own recording studio, so I write and produce my own music, but I also do backup work for others, like songwriters who have lyrics but no music. I was working for Sony, too, looping for some of their music product. I had a good life in Madison, so leaving was a big jump.

"The last three weeks I spent in a hotel, near my mother who had been diagnosed with leukemia and was in Barnes Medical Center. She's totally recovered - no trace of the disease, thank God. But those weeks were really intense - I was also finishing a big project for Sony."

UPON ARRIVAL
"I had a job waiting in Tel Aviv, with a musical hi-tech company that's doing interesting things. That was lucky. They're easily comparable to anything happening in LA or New York. The downside was I was working as soon as I arrived, putting in a lot of hours just sitting in my apartment, working. I needed a break. Part of the reason I made aliya was to find a social group, and by working so much, I was still alone. So first I cut down on my work hours, then I decided I'd rather live in Jerusalem.

"Tel Aviv was great - we had a great band, it was good. But I just fell in love with Jerusalem. Hey, I'm a Wisconsin kid - I like cool, and Tel Aviv was too warm. I still work for my Tel Aviv company - they've been great. We just have a different contractual arrangement now.

LIVING ENVIRONMENT
"I saw an ad on-line - it said penthouse. I was wondering what that could be, in downtown Jerusalem."

It turned out to be the top two floors in a newly-constructed building. Sunflower-yellow outside and situated just a few steps away from the Mahane Yehuda shuk, the location is perfect for a guy who likes to cook.

"The two balconies make the place," Fish says. The top floor balcony features an exotic pyramid door that could grace the pages of Architectural Digest.

Musical instruments are everywhere, on stands, in every corner, in all rooms, one of which is a soundproofed recording studio.

ROUTINE
"I teach a lot of students, many are Americans studying at a yeshiva. But I have several little Israeli kids, too. I've got one student I teach both guitar and English - he's probably the only kid in Jerusalem who begs for more English lessons. I work with serious musicians, too, providing recording or backup music. One of my clients is a lady who's working on a great kid's album. And of course I write and record my own music, too, so I'm busy all day.

CIRCLE
"My circle of friends is expanding - I've only been in Jerusalem for a few months, so I'm still getting acquainted here. But now I have a girlfriend - that helps."

FINANCES
"I've been lucky - I had a job waiting for me when I arrived. And I'm still working for Sony, just like in the States. Now, I'm starting to get some of my Wisconsin clients back, too - after all, if you need someone who plays a Chinese Zither or a dulcimer, you don't have a lot of options. The Internet makes it easy - or sometimes we just mail disks back and forth. It's not hard."

IDENTIFICATION
"I'm one of those crazy Americans who decided to live in Israel. I love it here. It was a great life change for me."

LANGUAGE
"I had 10 hours of ulpan - but they were a good 10 hours. Ulpan just didn't work for me. But I'm using all sorts of other ways to learn the language. I'm an auditory guy, so I like using disks, listening to the language and repeating it back. Of course, it's a little limiting - how often do you really need to say, "I want to sit in the no smoking section? But it's okay, I can get by."

FAITH
"I grew up in a non-religious household, although after I left, my parents started to become more religious. I'm Jewish, and I'm slowly moving in the direction of observance."

PLANS
"I'm working on my own album - what style? Rock. I'll play all the instruments. I want to teach more, I want to do more producing. I'm doing some shows, and I'm on my third CD for Sony. It's all coming together."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. "After Halimi Murder, Aliyah Group In France Finds Itself Getting Busier" By Brett Kline
From Jewish Telegraphic Agency

PARIS, March 28 (JTA) - With French aliyah surging since the intifada began and anti-Semitism spiked in France, a new group is helping smooth the transition to the Jewish state.

Launched in March 2005, AMI has aided 1,000 French Jews who chose to make aliyah, helping them with job networking and apartment financing in Israel and offering scholarships to students.

AMI - which stands for Alya et Meilleure Integration, or Aliyah and Better Integration, is a private organization working with the Jewish Agency for Israel, similar to the Nefesh B'Nefesh program in the United States.

Its 2005 operating budget was $2.5 million, financed by Pierre Besnainou, head of the European Jewish Congress.

A one-year anniversary gala for AMI in mid-March, attended by some 250-300 people, brought Jewish Agency head Zeev Bielski on a one-day visit from Jerusalem.

"One man has decided to devote his life to the Jewish people and to making aliyah," Bielski said of Besnainou. "He is a fantastic example and a model for other people to follow."

Bielski said French Jews are different from other communities because they often have close relatives in Israel. Sephardi Jews from Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria, former French colonies in North Africa, make up some 70 percent of France's Jewish population of approximately 600,000.

"More than 200,000 French Jews visited Israel in 2005 alone," Bielski said. "For some people, their visits as tourists are a first step to considering making aliyah."

David Roche, JAFI's director in France, reported that 3,005 people made aliyah from France in 2005, up 25 percent from 2004.

"Making aliyah is an individual decision but is a collective responsibility, " he said, noting a correlation with the level of anti-Semitic activity in France.

"The French government has taken very strong steps to reduce anti-Semitic activity, and the number of incidents has notably decreased," he said, "but when people actually leave, it is the end of a process begun and a decision made a couple of years earlier."

Roche said 2003 and 2004 were bad years for anti-Semitism in France, with hundreds of attacks against people and property, notably in suburbs around Paris, where thousands of Jews live.

Most of AMI's budget goes to financial aid and university scholarships, but the organization increasingly is focusing on finding work for new arrivals with professional coaching, employment workshops, job listings, training for opening businesses and a lecture series on life in Israel.

"Everyone agrees that the greatest challenge for new immigrants is finding work," Bielski said. "It's no longer enough for the Jewish Agency simply to provide a place to live. Professional people with good jobs want to remain professional."

He added, "AMI is providing a detailed service to olim, where the Jewish Agency has been offering the basic fundamentals."

Bielski acknowledged that life is not easy for new arrivals, but noted that unemployment in Israel ? about 9 percent ? is actually lower than in France, where it's about 10 percent.

Besnainou, 51, a self-made multi-millionaire who moved to France from Tunisia at age 20, said AMI is giving French Jews a strong role in the aliyah process.

"A couple of years ago, we leaders of the French Jewish community had developed a certain complex talking about making aliyah," he noted. "The Israelis were doing everything in the Jewish Agency, and we
decided that we had to do our part as French Jews. And so the AMI program was born."

While in Paris, Bielski also paid a visit to Ruth Halimi, whose 23-year-old son, Ilan, was kidnapped and tortured to death recently by a criminal gang in a suburban housing complex.

Ilan Halimi's murder was officially declared an anti-Semitic act, but most French people continue to believe that it was simply a criminal attack that had nothing to do with the victim's religion.

Bielski said Ruth Halimi would be visiting Israel over Passover, but she had said it was too early to make any decisions about her future.

According to reports from the Paris office, Bielski said, the number of people contacting the Jewish Agency about aliyah had doubled since Halimi's murder.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?